Noël Christopher Barengo
Department of Health Policy and Management, Robert Stempel College of Public Health and Social Work; Translational Medicine, Division of Medical and Population Health Sciences Education and Research
Office: AHC1 342
Noël C Barengo, MD, MPH, PhD, teaches clinical epidemiology, research methods, and evidence-based medicine. He is also involved in teaching activities within the Endocrinology Course and Osler Fridays and mentors medical students within the research scholarship course.
Barengo has worked as an independent consultant for the Pan-American Health Organization, the ASPIRE center in Qatar, and the Ministries of Health of Argentina, Colombia, and Paraguay. In addition, he has published more than 100 scientific publications in peer-reviewed journals and contributed three book chapters (complete list available by e-mail).
FocusPrevention and screening of diabetes, hypertension and cardiovascular diseases, non-communicable diseases, and physical activity and exercise.
- Lecturer, Public Health, University of Helsinki, Finland. 2009
- PhD, Public Health, University of Eastern Finland, Finland. 2006
- MPH, University of Eastern Finland, Finland. 2001
- MD, University of Eastern Finland, Finland. 1999
- Barengo NC, Acosta T, Arrieta A, Ricaurte C, Smits D, Florez K, Tuomilehto JO. Early Lifestyle Interventions in People with Impaired Glucose Tolerance in Northern Colombia: The DEMOJUAN Project. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2019;16(8). pii: E1403. doi: 10.3390/ijerph16081403.
- Barengo NC, Antikainen R, Borodulin K, Harald K, Jousilahti P. Leisure-Time Physical Activity Reduces Total and Cardiovascular Mortality and Cardiovascular Disease Incidence in Older Adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2016 Dec 26. doi: 10.1111/jgs.14694. [Epub ahead of print]
- Barengo NC, Tamayo DC, Tono T, Tuomilehto J. A Colombian diabetes risk score for detecting undiagnosed diabetes and impaired glucose regulation. Prim Care Diabetes. 2017;11(1):86-93. doi: 10.1016/j.pcd.2016.09.004.
- Barengo NC, Hu G, Lakka TA, Pekkarinen H, Nissinen A, Tuomilehto J. Low physical activity as a predictor for total and cardiovascular disease mortality in middle-aged men and women in Finland. Eur Heart J. 2004;25(24):2204-2211.
- Barengo NC, Tuomilehto JO. Diabetes: Exercise benefits in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Rev. Endocrinol. 2012 8(11):635-6.