Applicants must meet the following admission criteria:
- 3.0 GPA in upper division coursework. 3.25 for Advanced Standing*.
- A minimum grade of “C” in the following:
- Completion of a three-credit course in Biology with human content
- Completion of a three-credit course in Statistics
- Completion of 12 credits in Social Science course (e.g., Psychology, Sociology, Economics, American Government)
- International applicants whose native language is not English are required to submit a score for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or for the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). A total score of 80 on the iBT TOEFL or a 6.5 overall on the IELTS is required.
*Criteria for advanced standing:
MSW Advanced Standing admitted students must have a “B” or better from their BSSW coursework. Admitted advanced standing students with BSSW grades lower than a “B” will be required to complete the equivalent graduate courses in the first term of the MSW program. The final Field Placement evaluation is required (except FIU students).
To be considered for admission, all applicants must submit the following required application materials:
- Admissions application: http://gradschool.fiu.edu/admissions.shtml
- Official transcripts from accredited institutions
The following documents must be completed and uploaded into the “Supporting Documents” section of your University Graduate School application:
- Admissions application to the Master of Social Work (MSW) Program—Please complete the application and upload it into the “Supporting Documents” section of your Graduate Admissions Application Center portal.
- Personal narrative statement Please complete the statement and upload it into the “Supporting Documents” section of your Graduate Admissions Application Center portal.
- Three Social Work Reference Forms Please use only this reference form. Please send the reference form directly to your recommender. All reference forms must be uploaded by the recommender directly onto the graduate admissions portal.
Please see Social Work Reference Form Instructions below:
- When you are online in the graduate admissions application center, you will be prompted to provide the name and contact information for three recommenders.
- Once you enter their information, you must click “Save & Send Email.”
- This will generate an email to your recommenders, who will then be asked to submit the recommendation in support of your application to the MSW. Your recommenders only need to upload the Social Work Reference form that you are providing to them.
- Very Important: Although your recommenders receive an electronic request for a recommendation, it is critical that you contact them and provide them with the Social Work Reference form. Your recommenders can then log in with the instructions that they have received in the automated email and they will be able to upload the completed reference form which is specific to Social Work. This is the only form that they need to submit.
- Fall Semester: June 1st for domestic applicants; February 15th for international applicants
- Spring Semester: October 1st for domestic applicants; August 1st for international applicants
- Summer Semester (advanced standing only): March 1st for domestic applicants; December 1st for international applicants