We are excited to offer the MSW/MPH combined degree pathway with Advanced Standing Status, an accelerated interdisciplinary, two-year pathway for students who already have a BSW from an accredited social work program and have met the other admissions criteria. The combined degree pathway incorporates knowledge and skills from social work and public health, where students can choose either a concentration in clinical social work and health policy & management or a concentration in clinical social work and health promotion & disease prevention. Graduates from the MSW/MPH combined degree pathway will be able to work and lead in local and state health departments, federal health agencies, managed care organizations, hospitals, community-based organizations, and advocacy agencies. They will be able to provide direct clinical services, serve as program coordinators, administrators, consultants, planners, and advocates.
- School of Social Work Honor Pledge
- Master of Social Work (MSW)/Master of Public Health (HPDP) in Health Promotion & Disease Prevention Plan — Fall Admit
- Master of Social Work (MSW)/Master of Public Health (HPDP) in Health Promotion & Disease Prevention Plan —Spring Admit
- Master of Social Work (MSW)/Online Master of Public Health (Generalist) — Fall Admit*
- Master of Social Work (MSW)/Online Master of Public Health Online (Generalist) — Spring Admit*
For the MPH part of the pathway, you may select from two concentrations:
*Only the MPH is fully online
Interested students are encouraged to speak with faculty in both the School of Social Work and the MSW Online and/or Health Promotion & Disease Prevention (HPDP).
- For social work questions, please contact Jennifer Abeloff at 305-348-1627 or email@example.com.
- For MSW Online, please contact Yasenka Peterson at 305-348-3198 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For HPDP, please contact Rashida Biggs at 305-348-4694 or email@example.com or Melissa Howard at 305-348-6583 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have general questions about the dual degree program, please contact the Office of Student and Alumni Affairs at 305-348-7777.
Field Practicum and the MSW/MPH with Advanced Standing Status:
Students in the MSW/MPH with Advanced Standing Status combined degree pathway will participate in two semesters of field practicum (SOW 6533 and SOW 6534). The practicum in public health is combined into the social work advanced clinical placement, SOW 6533. While the placement process goes through the School of Social Work’s Office of Field Education, the practicum coordinator for public health is involved in the interviewing and matching of students to ensure that the placement not only meets the needs of a clinical social work internship but also allows the students to meet the competencies for a Generalist MPH or HPDP practicum.
- MSW/MPH Program Admissions
- Applicants must apply to and be accepted into each degree program separately to qualify for the combined degree pathway. At the time of admission, students must notify both programs that they are interested in pursuing the combined degree pathway with advanced standing status.
For additional information about the MPH application procedures, deadlines, documents, please contact Fiorella Suyon, Public Health Admissions Coordinator, at 305-348-1674 or email@example.com. For additional information about MSW application procedures, deadlines, documents and pre-requisites, please contact the Admissions Program Assistant, Gladys Ramos, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 305-348-5887.