Stacey L. Tannenbaum
Dietetics & Nutrition
Chronic Diseases (cancer, diabetes, heart disease), Ocular Health, Public Health, and Epidemiology, Mindfulness, and Worker’s safety.
Dr. Stacey L. Tannenbaum graduated from FIU with a PhD in Dietetics and Nutrition. Directly after graduation she worked as a Scientist at the University of Miami. Dr. Tannenbaum published eight, first-author peer-reviewed articles on various topics related to chronic diseases (including lung, breast, and colon cancer, diabetes, and risk factors for these chronic diseases for everyone including in older adults). She has also co-authored 29 peer-reviewed articles and has presented oral and poster presentations on numerous topics at more than 20 conferences. Dr. Tannenbaum developed and taught Public Health Nutrition to MPH, MSPH, and PhD students at the University of Miami. She has also taught Principles of Nutrition to graduate students majoring in dietetics and nutrition at FIU and Fundamentals of Nutrition to undergraduate non-majors at FIU. Her main interest is in the nutrient water and in water requirements and she has extensive knowledge of large database linkages and biostatistics. Dr. Tannenbaum has been the grant coordinator for two grants at the University of Miami. She also has extensive training on mindfulness and mindful eating, creating a pilot study of mindful eating versus the standard of care (the FODMAPS diet) for patients suffering with Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
- The Pennsylvania State University undergraduate BS in Nutrition
- The New York University MS degree in Nutrition
- Florida International University PhD in Dietetics and Nutrition
- McClure LA, Tannenbaum SL, Zheng DD, Joslin CE, Perera MJ, Gellman MD, Arheart KL, Lam BL, Lee DJ. Knowledge of Eye Health and Exposure to Eye Health Information among Hispanics/Latinos: Results from the Ocular SOL Ancillary to the Hispanic Community Health Study/Study of Latinos (HCHS/SOL), JAMA Ophthalmology 2017 Published online June 29, 2017. doi:10.1001/jamaophthalmol.2017.1998
- Kachan D, Olano HA, Tannenbaum SL, Annane DW, Mehta A, Arheart KL, Fleming L, Yang X, Lee DJ. Prevalence of Mindfulness Practices in the US Workforce: National Health Interview Survey, Preventing Chronic Disease 2017;14:160034.
- Tannenbaum SL, McClure LA, Zheng DD, Lam BL, Arheart KL, Joslin CE, Talavera GA, Lee DJ. Ocular Screening Adherence Across Hispanic/Latino Heritage Groups with Diabetes: Results from the Ocular SOL Ancillary to The Miami Site of the Hispanic Community Health Study/Study of Latinos (HCHS/SOL), BMJ Open Diabetes Research & Care 2016;4:e000236 doi:10.1136/bmjdrc-2016-000236 2016.
- Tannenbaum SL, McClure LA, Asfar T, Sherman RL, LeBlanc WG, Lee DJ. Are cancer survivors physically active? A comparison by U.S. states. Journal of Physical Activity and Health, 2016;13:159-167.
- McClure LA, Miller EA, Tannenbaum SL, Hernandez MN, MacKinnon JA, He Y, LeBlanc WG, Lee DJ. Linking the National Health Interview Survey with the Florida Cancer Data System: A Pilot Study. Journal of Registry Management, 2016 Spring;43(1):16-22.
- Hansra DM, Koru-Sengul T, Zhao W, Miao F, Monedero AP, Tannenbaum SL, Lee DJ, Hurley J, Byrne MM. Effects of obesity and smoking on survival in non-small cell lung cancer. Open Journal of Epidemiology, 2015; 6(2):128-139.
- McClure LA, Sussman DA, Hernandez MN, Tannenbaum SL, Yechieli RL, Bonner JM, Zheng DD, Lee DJ. Factors Associated with Receipt of Radiation Therapy for Rectal Cancer. American Journal of Clinical Oncology, 2015 [epub ahead of print]
- Padron AM, Koru-Sengul T, Tannenbaum SL, Miao F, Hansra D, Lee DJ, Byrne MM. Smoking and survival in male breast cancer patients. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment Oct;153(3):679-87. doi: 10.1007/s10549-015-3582-1. Epub 2015 Sep 26.
- McClure LA, Zheng DD, Lam BL, Tannenbaum SL, Joslin CE, Davis S, Lopez-Cevallos D, Youngblood ME, Zhang Z-M, Chambers CP, Lee DJ. Factors Associated with Ocular Healthcare Utilization among Hispanics/Latinos: Results from the Ocular SOL Ancillary to the Hispanic Community Health Study/Study of Latinos. Journal of American Medical Association Ophthalmology, 134 (3), 320-329, 2016.
- Kachan D, Fleming L.E., Christ S., Muennig P, Prado G, Tannenbaum S.L., Yang, X., Caban-Martinez, A., Lee D.J. Health Status of US Older Workers and Non-Workers. Preventing Chronic Disease, 2015;12:150040. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5888/pcd12.150040.
- Asfar T, Dietz NA, Arheart KL, Tannenbaum SL, McClure LA, Fleming LE, Lee DJ. Smoking Behavior Among Adult Childhood Cancer Survivors: What Are We Missing? Journal of Cancer Survivorship, 2015;10(1): 131-141.
- Padron AM, Tannenbaum SL, Koru-Sengul T, Miao F, Hansra D, Lee DJ, Byrne MM. Smoking and survival in female breast cancer patients. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, 2015;150(2): 395-403.
- Sussman DA, Hernandez MN, Tannenbaum SL, Bonner J, McClure LA, Lee DJ. New strategies immediately needed for molecular marker reporting in colorectal cancer. American Journal of Gastroenterology, 2015 Jan;110(1):197-8.
- O’Brien BA, Koru-Sengul T, Miao F, Saclarides CP Alghamdi H Tannenbaum SL, Lee DJ, Franceschi D, Byrne MM Avisar E Disparities in overall survival for male breast cancer patients in the state of Florida (1996-2007). Clinical Breast Cancer published online January 7, 2015 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.clbc.2014.12.010.
- Yakoub D, Avisar E, Koru-Sengul T, Miao F, Tannenbaum SL, Byrne MM, Moffat F, Livingstone A, Franceschi D. Factors associated with contralateral preventive mastectomy. Breast Cancer: Targets and Therapy, 2015;7:1-8.
- Olano HA, Kachan D, Tannenbaum SL, Mehta A, Annane, D, Lee DJ. Engagement in Mindfulness Practices by US Adults: Sociodemographic Barriers. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 2015;21(2):100-102.
- Zheng DD, Bokman CL, Christ SL, West SK, Munoz BE, Lam BL, Swenor BK, Tannenbaum, SL, Lee DJ. Longitudinal Relationships between Visual Acuity and Severe Depressive Symptoms in Older Adults: The Salisbury Eye Evaluation Study. Aging & Mental Health, 2016; 20(3):295-302.
- Byrne MM, Parker DF, Tannenbaum SL, Ocasio MA, Lam BL, Zimmer-Galler I, Lee DJ. Cost of a community-based diabetic retinopathy screening program. Diabetes Care, 2014; 37(11):e236-237.
- Tannenbaum SL, Hernandez M, Zheng DD, Sussman DA, Lee DJ. Individual- and Neighborhood-Level Predictors of Mortality in Florida Colorectal Cancer Patients. PLoS ONE, 2014; 9(8): e106322. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0106322.
- Tannenbaum SL, Koru-Sengul T, Zhao W, Miao F, Byrne MM. Survival disparities in non-small cell lung cancer by race, ethnicity, and socioeconomic status. The Cancer Journal, 2014 Jul-Aug;20(4):237-45.
- Dosch AR, Koru-Sengul T, Miao F, Tannenbaum SL, Byrne MM, Wright JL. Racial and ethnic disparities in the diagnosis of breast cancer changes in presenting stage in minority populations in Florida during 1981-2009. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, 2014 Nov; 148(2):379-87.
- Miller EA, Miller DM, Judson DH, He Y, Day HR, Zevallos K, Parker JD, MacKinnon JA, Hernandez MN, Wohler B, Sherman R, Fernandez CA, McClure LA, LeBlanc WG, Tannenbaum SL, Zheng DD, Lee, DJ, Christ SL. Linkage of 1986–2009 National Health Interview Survey with 1981–2010 Florida Cancer Data System. National Center for Health Statistics. Vital Health Stat 2(167). 2014
- Lee DJ, Kumar N, Feuer W, Chou C-F, Schiffman J, Morante A, Aldahan A. Staropoli P, Fernandez C, Tannenbaum SL, Lam B. Dilated eye examination screening guideline compliance among diabetic patients without a diabetic retinopathy diagnosis: the role of geographic access. BMJ Open Diabetes Research and Care, 2014;2:e000031 doi:10.1136/bmjdrc-2014-000031.
- Christ SL, Zheng DD, Swenor BK, Lam BL, West SK, Tannenbaum SL, Munoz BE, Lee DJ. Longitudinal Relationships Among Visual Acuity, Functioning, and Mortality: The Salisbury Eye Evaluation Study. JAMA Ophthalmology, doi:10.1001/jamaophthalmol.2014.2847, 2014.
- Zheng DD, Christ SL, Lam BL, Tannenbaum SL, Bokman C, Arheart KL, McClure LA, Fernandez, C, Lee DJ. Visual Acuity and Increased Mortality: The Role of Allostatic Load and Functional Status. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, 2014 Jul 24;55(8):5144-50. doi: 10.1167/iovs.14-14202.
- D’Andrea AP, Fernandez C, Tannenbaum SL, Clarke TA, McClure LA, LeBlanc WG, Lee DJ. Correlates of leisure time physical activity compliance in colorectal cancer survivors. Preventive Medicine, 2014;62:78-82. DOI:10.1016/j.ypmed.2014.01.032.
- Kachan D, Tannenbaum SL, Olano HA, LeBlanc WG, McClure LA, Lee DJ. Geographical Variation in Health-Related Quality of Life among Older US Adults. Preventing Chronic Disease, 2014 Jul 3;11:E110. doi: 10.5888/pcd11.140023.
- Tannenbaum SL, Zhao W, Koru-Sengul T, Miao F, Lee D, Byrne MM. Marital status and its effect on lung cancer survival. SpringerPlus, 2013; 2:504. DOI: 10.1186/10.1186/2193-1801-2-504.
- Lee DJ, Tannenbaum SL, Koru-Sengul T, Miao F, Zhao W, Byrne MM. Native American Race, Use of the Indian Health Service, and Breast and Lung Cancer Survival in Florida, 1996–2007. Preventing Chronic Disease, 2014;11:130162. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5888/pcd11.130162.
- Sherman RL, Henry KA, Tannenbaum SL, Feaster DJ, Kobetz E, Lee DJ. Applying Spatial Analysis Tools in Public Health: An Example Using SaTScan to Detect Geographic Targets for Colorectal Cancer Screening Interventions. Preventing Chronic Disease, 2014;11:130264. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5888/pcd11.130264
- Tannenbaum SL, Koru-Sengul T, Miao F, Byrne MM. Disparities in survival after female breast cancer diagnosis: a population-based study. Cancer Causes and Control, 2013;24 (9):1705-1715.
- Byrne MM, Tannenbaum SL, Glück S, Hurley J, Antoni M. Participation in Cancer Clinical Trials: Why are Patients Not Participating? Medical Decision Making, 2014 Jan;34(1):116-26. doi: 10.1177/0272989X13497264.
- Hernandez MN, Voti L, Feldman JD, Tannenbaum SL, Scharber W, MacKinnon JA, Lee DJ, Huang YX. Cancer Registry Enrichment via Linkage with Hospital-Based Electronic Medical Records: A Pilot Investigation. Journal of Registry Management, 2013;40 (1):40-47.
- Tannenbaum SL, Kachan D, Fernandez CA, McClure LA, LeBlanc WG, Arheart KL, Lee DJ. State variations of chronic disease risk factors in older Americans. Preventing Chronic Disease, 2012;9:120143. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5888/pcd9.120143.
- Tannenbaum SL, Castellanos VH, George, V. Arheart KL. Current formulas for water requirements produce different estimates. JPEN Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, 2012;36(3):299-305.
- Lewis JE, Tannenbaum SL, Gao J, Melillo AB, Long E, Alonso Y, Konefal J, Woolger JM, Leonard S, Singh PK, Chen L, Tiozzo E. Comparing the accuracy of ES-BC, EIS, and ES Oxi on body composition, autonomic nervous system activity, and cardiac output to standardized assessments. Medical Devices: Evidence and Research, 2011;4:169-177.
- Lewis JE, Clark JD, LeBlanc WG, Fleming LE, Cabán-Martinez AJ, Arheart KL, Tannenbaum SL, Ocasio MA, Davila EP, Kachan D, McCollister K, Dietz N, Bandiera FC, Clarke TC, Lee DJ. Cardiovascular Fitness Levels Among American Workers. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 2011;53(10):1115-21.